PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how many ex QF engineers will chase $$
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2007, 23:01
Konehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: show me the money

According to the ALAEA, 60% of the LAMEs made redundant from Qantas have left the industry. I keep in touch with quite a few and all of them have vowed never to return, even for $100K. Apparently John Holland has also been trying to entice these guys back into the industry to no avail. Anyone know if this is true?
Yesterday I spoke to a former QF LAME made redundant 18 months ago. He got a knock on the door from a labour hire firm making him the offer of $100K for 6 months on standby to work whenever required and an immediate $1500 sign-on bonus. He'd get the $100K even if he didn't do any work!
I've no idea what QF think they'll achieve. While a few redundant ex-Air NZ LAMEs have apparently signed up, alot of ex-QF LAMEs out there have been left with a very nasty taste in the mouth by QF and will steer well clear of 'scabbing'. Are there large numbers out there who can get a significant amount of leave from their employer to moonlight when they've been employed for only 18 months or so? And aren't LAME's in short supply world-wide? Foreign LAMEs will need to go through a thorough approval and induction process both by CASA and QF. QF will need alot more than the paltry few they've attracted so far to keep the airline in the air. If they hope to 'break' the LAME's ala the 1989 pilots strike I just can't see how they'll manage it. And if they do get enough numbers to make a difference, at what financial cost? A mere 30 'scab' LAMEs @ $100K each comes to $3 million, which is the difference between the 3% offered and 5% demanded. And QF would need alot more than 30 LAMEs to keep the airline operating.
There's a meeting on 4 Jan between the ALAEA and QF to resolve the impasse, but a few days ago, QF cancelled all LAME's leave for Jan-Feb, before the union's protected industrial action has even commenced. That's just a little combative isn't it? It's clear they are not entering the negotiations in good faith so no-one's holding out much hope of a resolution. So any enterprising lads out there, you may actually work for your $100K after all! Good luck!