PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st International Air Show and Live Fire Demonstration/Kabul Int'l Airport
Old 25th Sep 2001, 02:24
kbf1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roc:

To be entirely honest, I am not sure that I have the answers, but if I had to define a criteria it would be thus:

Freeze all terrorist assets in the US (as GWB has done with OBL linked funds) as well as denying political support groups and other cover organisations from trading.

Educate US citizens as to what is an is not terrorism. I think that widse misunderstanding exists. How many American Bostonians would know that the IRA blew up a bomb in a crowded shopping centre in Warrington the day before Mother's Day killing, amongst others, a 12 year old boy called Tim Parry? A definition of who the terrorist oprganisations are would help.

Applying diplomatic pressure on countries that have terrorist groups and agreeing on wider extradition treaties that are global.

Establishing beyond reasonable doubt (not necessarily to the same extent as in a court of law, but sufficient not to give rise to doubt) who was behind the WTC attacks.

Define what action is to be taken and set limits. If the plan does not go well, define at what stage you will pull back and re-org.

Define the "enemy" even if he will not define himself. That may mean letting some potential terrorists go.

Select targets sparingly. If you have any doubts at all, don't hit it. Avoid the Chinese Embassy at all costs!!

Minimise the risk to civillians to zero. Memories of dead inncoent civilians will last longer than destroyed training camps.

Increase aid to Afghanistan. Make an effort in your diplomacy to understand and support the moslem way of life.

Put intelligence agencies and opratives on the ground. Do not rely on other to get your intel for you. This is where the CIA have got it horribly wrong in the past.

Change the language used from one of revenge to one of support. "We are trying to free you to live your Islamic life to the full as you have the right to do" rather than "we will bring you to justice".

Stop supporting Israel, even if it is a massive vote looser. They are capable of looking after themselves and would probably stop pushing Palestine around if they knew that they did not have the US to back it up. Words like holcaust and guilt trips are inevitable from the Jews in the US, but you have to live with that and Israel will get the message that it either talks peace or goes it alone.

Take note of the wishes and needs of other nations. If you want their help in coming years keeping terrirsts at bay you have to drop the siege mentality and give as well as take. The oil industry and the car industry may not like the Kyoto Accord, or the '72 ICBM Treaty might not suit you, but you may have to swallow that one.

Build bridges with Iran and other moderate ME nations. Iraq will always be a lost cause, but it is about time to re-think sanctions. If you can find a more effective way of punishing Iraq, the so be it, but again images of suffering babies starving to death make a lasting image.

Appply a fair and consistent hand to those with whom you deal.

That would be my starting point. The more politically astute will no doubt add or subtract from this list. As I said, I don't pretend to have the answers, but it is time to ask the difficult questions before we act rathe than doing something we will later regret.

Take care with the Mujahadin/Taliban. They are hardened to their terrain and fanatical in a way we cannot imagine. They see death as something to celebrate as martyrs and will look to inflict damage on the "great Satan" at the cost of their own lives to earn their place in heaven. Any ground offensive would be fought on their terms. They know their terrain, and unlike the US/British armies they wear no uniform and are no respecters of the Geneva convention. They will fight a guerilla war and will not be defeated in conventional terms. it would be a mistake to underestimate these men. The Iraqis in the Gulf War were conscripts who were threatened with death if they deserted. to reinforce the point, we understand that senior Iraqi officers pulled every 100th man from the trenches and shot him infront of his platoon to demonstrate that the government meant business. they were poorly trained, fed, clothed, equipped, and very poorly motivated. They no more wanted to be there as we did. The Taliban however are totally committed to the cause and will fight to the last.

Best of British Roc, and a beer will be waiting on your return.

Jacko:

The Wahabbis are not a religion as much a sect within Islam. Like the Scribes and Pharisees of Judeaism they have a different slant on Islam. It comes from the differing interpritations on the Koran by Muhammed's early followers who seperated themselves from the Shi'a and Sunny tribes. They are to Islam what Joehova's Witnesses or Mormons are to Christianity, a derivation of the core system of belief.