PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st International Air Show and Live Fire Demonstration/Kabul Int'l Airport
Old 23rd Sep 2001, 22:09
DC Meatloaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since September 11th, I've been reading posts on this site suggesting that the attacks, while horrific, are certainly no justification for the firestorm we Americans are sure to unleash. It's a shame that 6500 innocents (from over 60 different countries) were killed in this attack, the posts seem to suggest, but perhaps America ought to look at the root causes -- its support of Israel, its arrogance -- before sending over the first strike.

Well, it’s been nearly two weeks and Afghanistan has not yet been turned to glass. We've not yet rounded up everyone with a copy of the Koran, nor have we urged the Israelis to finish off the PLO. We've not yet even lobbed cruise missiles indiscriminately at anyone.

And yet, a number of posters here (and on other threads) seem to suggest that we will.

Well, this American is proud of the restraint and clear thinking our leaders have demonstrated thus far. I think the President’s address to Congress spelled out clearly our approach in the coming months and years. Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda are the primary targets of our first assault on terror, and so is a Taliban government that continues to harbor and aid them. Our dispute isn’t with the people of Afghanistan – we are, as the President pointed out, the largest source of humanitarian aid to the Afghans – just with a government that continues to allow “safe harbor” to those who have perpetrated a number of particularly devastating terrorist attacks around the globe, including, apparently, this latest attack. And after that?

“Our war on terror begins with al Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated.”
I would hope that the world would largely stand by us in this effort. I know I’ve been moved by the response from our allies – especially Great Britain – so far. I only pray that, posts on this board notwithstanding, this climate of unity persists. But rest assured, we’re prepared to go it alone if it doesn’t.