PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a supportive dad
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 16:52
Timelord

Received 103 Likes on 52 Posts
Slogger

My son is just about to start his first airline job having been to university and then Oxford Aviation Training. It is very hard to predict the state of the market when your son is old enough but it is fair to assume that the "getting a job" part is the hardest bit. At the moment there are one or two "sponsorship" deals that help a bit with the up front cost. They get their money back one way or another but do at least offer a definite job at the end of training which removes a lot of the stress.

What to do now ? Encourage science subjects rather than arts, continue with Air training Corps and other out of school activities that look good on a CV. If he goes to university he may want to think about the University Air Squadron (although he will at least have to pretend to be interested in the RAF). Visit the Oxford website. Although you will see many opinions about OAT on this forum their website will give you a good idea of ways and means and cost. (reckon £65000 plus living fot 2 years).

Good luck to him and you and please PM me if I can be of any further assistance.

TL