PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Med Seneca Down
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 12:37
Life's a Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selfin

You are right that 220 is the take-off power. Still very useful in the event of an engine failure. Not flown the II, but I assume that the 200 hp is also a take-off power, as stated power is with most engines (even a C152 has max continuous of 100, but lack of turbo-charging makes it kind of irrelevant!).

1.960 does not apply to a PA-34.
Originally Posted by JAR-OPS 1.960
A Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) holder does not operate as a commander of an aeroplane certificated in the Aeroplane Flight Manual for single pilot operations unless:
my emphasis
I don't have JAR-OPS in front of me at the moment, but I think the relevant part is the appendix to 1.980. The hours requirement is actually far below what any operator would accept for typical air-taxi operations!

plinkton

Indeed, the most likely time for a failure is in the first 50 hours after rebuild. No time for trend monitoring!

Statistically piston twins are less safe than single turbines. However that is probably because there are a lot more flown by inexperienced pilots and in difficult conditions, and they are actually harder to fly. In AOC operations, with line training and close monitoring of experienced CPL holders I don't think that would apply. We won't see single-engine AOC operations (except day VMC) in the UK for a long time yet. Anywhere that a single failure can cause a crash the CAA will avoid if at all possible.