PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US tragedy
Thread: US tragedy
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2001, 18:54
Adastral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Helo and Roc

Not wishing to ruin the 'Special relationship' or anything, but you're missing the mark on a number if issues.

To hold the USA as the epitomy of democracy is rose tinted at best. As a relatively young nation you don't have to go back that many years to find examples of racism surely not in keeping with that great Constitution you are so proud of?

Historically, you should probably be thanking the French for your victory in the Wars of Independence (and remember that you were British when you began the conflict?!) and the Russians for shortening WWII.

Can your country be so admired when you openly declare pride that you only pick the fights that you want to get involved in and then scuttle back within your borders once resolved?

Your President had never been outside Continental America before he was elected. Now he wants to lead the rest of the world to war?

I repeat my outrage and condemnation of the acts perpitrated this week. But you cannot be blind to the fact that many other countries have lived with terrorism for years and the US was content to stand idlely by. Fine, it wasn't your problem.

Now you have found that not even the USA is out of reach. But, there is no easy solution.

This terrible situation should be the catalyst for all the nations who believe in democracy (whether it is written down or simply passed by tradition for 2000 years or so) to work together in finding a solution.

No civilized country should be held to randsom by an evil minority. The USA may be the world super power, but you are not facing a tangible enemy that you can easily unleash you military might on. I understand your frustration and the fact that revenge is uppermost in everyones minds, but there is no easy fix.

If you think that you can do it yourselves, you are mistaken. You need support from the rest of the world. Whether you are delighted by the fact or not, the UK (amongst many others) have pledged that support. It is only by our combined and concerted efforts on a political, economic and military front that we will be able to find a solution.

Let's not waste this opportunity.