PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US tragedy
Thread: US tragedy
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2001, 14:50
Jackonicko

Received 59 Likes on 11 Posts
West Coast: Excellent post, and quite right about what drives Bin Laden himself, though what has given him mass support is his stance on the Palestinians. This is an issue that has cleverly and cynically been used by Saddam and Colonel G in the past, as well, and to pretend that it is not the main irritant in the Arab world is a mistake. US troops out of the Holy lands doesn't generally inspire the general Arab public (the suicide bombers maybe) - liberating Palestine, or justice for the Palestinians is a popular and respectable cause in the ME, and has already been used as justification for these heinous acts of barbarism, which I condemn whole heartedly.

Desperado. Your summary of the Israel situation seems 25 years out of date. Which of Israel's neighbours is 'bent' on its destruction today? (I'll allow you Iraq). Not even the PLO. And which side is today butchering which?

I'm sorry you don't like my comparison between South Africa and Israel. I believe that any comparison is unjust to South Africa, rather than to Israel. BOSS never car-bombed people. The SAAF never rocketed ANC men's cars and flats (and certainly not once they were negotiating). The SADF never supervised massacres of innocent refugees in refugee camps. The SADF and SAP did kill people in the townships, but not on the scale that the IDF have killed Palestinians in the Intifada. Their body count of children and teenagers was also significantly lower, and they were never quite so liberal in the use of live ammunition against rioters. While South Africa did launch surgical strikes across its borders, it never invaded them, and never seized the sovereign territory of other states. South Africa always had a policy of trying to establish independent homelands for the indigenous people, and did not permit random settlement by whites in black or coloured areas. But South Africa was a loathsome place, and I wouldn't want to support it, or apartheid. Israel's actions (especially in recent years) have added to an already equally nasty apartheid policy, and in my view (and that of the UN), have put it firmly beyond the pale. What else could they do? Compromise, reach an accomodation with the Palestinians, and live in peace.

If all you want is short-sighted revenge, ignore the question of Israel. If you want to solve the problem and make that revenge 'palateable' to the Arab world address it as well.

PS: Other pieces of 'US technology' - the rifled barrel, the jet engine, manned flight, heavier-than-air flight, spaceflight (manned and unmanned), all metal airplane construction, etc.