PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US tragedy
Thread: US tragedy
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2001, 14:23
Adastral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I realise that I will now be adding to the melting point, and there have been some valid points made on all sides; however, some are in danger of missing the point.

Whilst I have enormous sympathy and support for the American people and would not dream of maligning their rage at this dark time, I do note (with a sense of irony) that it is unfortunate that it should take such a direct act of barbarity for them to wake up to the realities of the world.

How many Americans in previous years looked scornfully at the UK with regard to Northern Ireland? How much money has flowed across the pond into the coffers of the IRA terrorists? When the pot is passed around next St Patrick's day, will you be so keen to give your support to this terrorist cause?

And before anyone remarks on the unprecidented scale of the attacks in America, I would like to point out that it should not matter how many lose their lifes. The families at Omagh, Enniskillen or countless other places in the province don't grieve any less.

Last night, up North, we remembered 'The Few' in our Battle of Britain function. Canadian's, Czecs, Poles, French - several nations together (but not, at this point, American) fought valiently to preserve the liberty of Europe. When did we get the support of our Ex-colonial colleagues? Only after they suffered a direct, and equally surprising, attack the following year.

Don't misinterpret my remarks. I am disgusted by the carnage that has been inflicted and, yes, it is of an unprecedented scale. But we in the UK have lived with the threat of terrorism for years. For the Americans it is a relatively new, and I am sure they are finding distasteful, phenomena.

But, don't be too hasty in calling in 'debts'. Certainly don't be too hasty in baying for revenge. These acts must not go unpunished - but don't be so blinded by emotion that a reasoned response is lost.

Whatever needs to be done to bring these terrorists to justice should be the priority of all law abiding nations - not just the USA.

We stand with you in condemnation of these acts. Let this be the catalyst to make us stand against all terrorism.

Oh! And, by the way. Most of the 'British' inventors hailed earlier on were, in fact, Scottish!!!