PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a supportive dad
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 08:24
slogger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a supportive dad

I hope this is the appropriate place for me to post this thread, but I am looking for advice to support my son.
He is 16 and has just started a BTEC in Electrical and Mechanical engineering to support a carrer path that for the last few years he has been solid on (that of becoming an Aircraft Engineer). He has always talked of wishing to be a pilot but it his never been his first career path but over the last few months he has been asking us more about chosing this path.
I have read a number of posts on this site and generally observe that it is expensive and the number of opportunities are limited but we would like to support him if he is serious about this career choice.
The reason for this posting is to get advice on how best to support this. Talking to him, his first choice would be small private aircraft market (eg Exec Jets, pleasure flights etc as opposed to commercial big jets.
He is in the Air Cadets and has had 3 flights in a Grob Tutor and has taken controls for 20 minute in each flight.
The main advice I am after is if we support this training financialy, what would be the correct course of exams to take and are people able to give indicative costs ?
Also we would be interested to know the route into jobs in this area and average ages and whether it is normal to do this training alongside another career path (eg continuing to study and persue a career as an aircraft engineer).

I know some of this is vague and may spawn additional questions but any advice would be appreciated and I am happy to be contacted outside of this forum if that is more appropriate.
best regards
R