PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HyperMerged: Q Engineering LAME EBA VIII/Industrial Strategies
Old 29th Dec 2007, 00:40
alpine57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wingers

I have just come on today and saw your posts.

QF can move to terminate your EBA at any time, now that it has nominally expired. The AIRC MUST terminate the EBA upon QF application and after hearing the arguments, UNLESS there are public interest reasons not do so.

Of course the interests of LAME's are not the interests of the public. Termination is an effective pressure tactic that QF could use, and i'm sure it is 1 of their options they would be considering now.

The effect of a termination is that your conditions would fall back to any underlying Award that you might have. That underlying Award would have to be a "simplified" Award and therefore would not contain a lot of important matter currently contained in your expired EBA. The AWARD WOULD ALSO CONTAIN LESSER PAY RATES, FOR EXAMPLE, COMPARED TO YOUR EXPIRED EBA.

In relation to redundancy matters, if an EBA is terminated ,current redundancy arrangements live on for a further 1 year post termination . You would also need to check if your underlying Award contains your existing EBA redundancy provisions.

I note a primary conflict point is the wage rise. I may be proved wrong, however, you guys need to realise that QF will do what is necessary to ensure no wages breakout occurs and therefore it will defend any attempt to get a wage increase beyond 3% pa. I hope you don't risk all attempting to break that 3% barrier. That would be a tragedy for all of you.

Of course, i understand you have other very important matters that do need to be addressed and these should be addressed.

Your leadership is very decent, but they are relatively inexperienced. They need to be very wary not to take you all to a very bad spot.

QF is ruthless, i'm sure i don't need to tell you that.

On a final note, i see some in here are very confused as to what constitutes industrial action. The Act, defines industrial action very broadly. "Stop work" meetings are exactly the same as strikes if, people who are meant to work , turn up to a "stop work " meeting instead. Also, "work to rule" is industrial action.

I am assuming your union leadership understand these principles.

Good luck to you all.