PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Communication failure after takeoff
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2007, 12:29
bflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I'm presuming we are talking about a total radio communications failure,i.e no transsmittion nor reception..and since most of us here would be flying on an IFR flight plan..i would follow the procedure laid out for the country and airport/TMA zone in the radio comms failure in the jeppesen EMERGENCY section and continue to my destination
The radio communication failure procedures are constructed to give the ATC controllers time to clear the airspace that the aircraft with the comms failure is occupying/will occupy of traffic and give that aircraft a clear run to destination..plus a buffer of 30 min at the expected ETA.
Now while total comms failure is a highly stressful experience..it is not a life threatening one
Going back to land without coordination with ATC or any deviation from the established lost comms procedures at a major international airport might well prove to be a life threatning one to self and others..not to mention the utter havoc genrated at said airport
i ask if any of you seriously believe that a fast jet can be maneuvered in a manner to avoid other jets out there while going back for an immediate landing at say...heathrow,schipoll..frankfurt.
Also i wish for the input of ATC controllers about their experiences/expectations about this and similar cases

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all