PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 22:54
Safeware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S_H,
Ok, maybe the use of the words "culture" and "cut" together wasn't quite right, but if you take the parallels of NASA and the MOD, I would say that in both cases, the underfunding that you correctly refer to had /has had (delete as appropriate) a negative on all aspects - competence, prioritisation, process improvement, oversight etc etc. As a result, I would say that the culture would certainly be lost. This would also produce the "wilful and systematic" effect you refer to.

As for things being an "effing shambles", maybe that is how you see it. But I think that if the processes and procedures in place were followed, then the situation with Chinook, Herc and Nimrod (at least, as I'm sure we both could cite other examples) would not have arisen. It is pretty clear what should be done, and obvious what hasn't. Whether or not the process needs improving is slightly different from not bothering with the process at all.

As a starting point, I'd be happier if people read, understood and implemented the existing systems, but do share how you think it should be rebuilt?

sw

ps, As for the SofS statement, he may make it, but do you think he knows how it should be achieved, or if those acting on his immediate behalf really take on board what it means, or how they are to be held accountable? The MOD "targets" for safety are meaningless (and I don't mean probability targets).

Last edited by Safeware; 23rd Dec 2007 at 23:07.