PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATO Philippines vs ICAO or FAA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 12:05
Eight Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ArrowMark

Manila is still one of the few Primary Airports where a C-152 can fly in and land. I suspect this situation will not last much longer
I agree, and if their VFR inconsistencies continue, soon we will have near misses with airliners and the more they will have reasons to ban lighties in MNL. They'll just blame it on the little guys.

I am sure you are aware of the RWY 13 Breakwater approach. I have often used it. It is a breakwater just off South Harbour that almost lines up with RWY 13. Using this as a guide, you can track visually to 13 when you cannot even see the Runway when the coastline. Go figure??? This is VFR according to teh tower on many occasions.
Is this what you mean - Reference AIP Section 2.3 Sub-Section 2.3.1 b

"Rwy 13 Landing: Request to make STRIGHT-IN-APPROACH before South Harbour. When request is approved descend to 600ft towards Philippine Navy. Continue descent so as to maintain 300ft over Baclaran Redemptorist church and the 50 ft. clearance above the runway threshold. If request is disapproved, turn right at or before South Harbour, avoiding other aircraft in the traffic circuit thence enter downwind leg Runway 13; or any other maneuver as instructed by the Aerodrome Controller"

You wouldn't want to know what I think of this - believe me.

It has been a while, but I guess they still allow it from the North on 13.
I guess they still do after asking several orbits from you .... it reminds me of an American joke, will tell you about it some other time.

Your situation just describes the worserning situation with ATC, as I have watched it degrade over the last 10 years. There is no consistancy with the ATC procedures relating to VFR.
Gives me the goosebumps... thank you, I thought I was the only one who has noticed it

Check Rides from Manila have been stopped. VFR arrivals are now limited to certain times of the day I was just informed (un-verified as yet)
Is this the VFR flights allowed only from sunrise to sunset ?
This is one of the things I wonder - looks like they don't have Night VFR ?

So, I guess the students don't have a lot of experience in night circuits.

Why, one could be acused of thinking they do not want ANY VFR in Manila, tsk, tsk, what a thought???
Probably the possibility of having a mid-air scare in a controlled airspace due to their inconsistencies. Someone mentioned to me once that they have noticed that ATC is not there to help you but to play bully. Now that's a scary thought.

Is it undermanning that it is the problem? It cannot be too much traffic as there is only 300 or so aircraft flying now, not many actually based in manila. There used to be over 2000 flying in the philippines including more than 40 Kingairs. I believe there is only 4 or 6 flying now. How did they handle it then without all the modern equipment they have now. It seem way too hard for them now, doesn't it??
One answer - funds are probably not allocated properly but siphoned by someone. When was the last time they had a radar upgrade and change in the National Airspace System. --- let me guess, 100 years ago ?

The bottom line is that general Aviation is slowly going away, along with the airports as well. In ten years there may be no where or no aircraft to fly unless you are in an airliner.
Yep, sold to SM (Shoe Mart) directors, Jollibee and McDonalds

How many Aztecs are there here? How many of the work horse aircraft that you see in the states. Answer = almost none.

The Philippine AViation Community needs to wake up and see the writing on the wall. ATO, PAL, CebuPack and whoever do not want any little guys flying around. They just see us as a pain in the ass that should go away.
No wonder Plaridel airstrip is getting congested . Even Clark ( CDC ) wants the little guys out. Some schools in the Clark area have been doing their flying training in Lingayen.

Look at AOPA in the USA, they fight against EVERY airport closure, what does the phlippine aviation community do??
Nothing I suppose. We don't have a union to stand up against this and ATO.

Last edited by Eight Ball; 23rd Dec 2007 at 01:21.