PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATO Philippines vs ICAO or FAA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 06:17
arrowmark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runway 13

EightBall

Manila is still one of the few Primary Airports where a C-152 can fly in and land. I suspect this situation will not last much longer ..

I am sure you are aware of the RWY 13 Breakwater approach. I have often used it. It is a breakwater just off South Harbour that almost lines up with RWY 13. Using this as a guide, you can track visually to 13 when you cannot even see the Runway when the coastline. Go figure??? This is VFR according to teh tower on many occasions. It has been a while, but I guess they still allow it from the North on 13.

Your situation just describes the worserning situation with ATC, as I have watched it degrade over the last 10 years. There is no consistancy with the ATC procedures relating to VFR. Check Rides from Manila have been stopped. VFR arrivals are now limited to certain times of the day I was just informed (un-verified as yet)

Why, one could be acused of thinking they do not want ANY VFR in Manila, tsk, tsk, what a thought???

Is it undermanning that it is the problem? It cannot be too much traffic as there is only 300 or so aircraft flying now, not many actually based in manila. There used to be over 2000 flying in the philippines including more than 40 Kingairs. I believe there is only 4 or 6 flying now. How did they handle it then without all the modern equipment they have now. It seem way too hard for them now, doesn't it??

The bottom line is that general Aviation is slowly going away, along with the airports as well. In ten years there may be no where or no aircraft to fly unless you are in an airliner.

How many Aztecs are there here? How many of the work horse aircraft that you see in the states. Answer = almost none.

The Philippine AViation Community needs to wake up and see the writing on the wall. ATO, PAL, CebuPack and whoever do not want any little guys flying around. They just see us as a pain in the ass that should go away.

Look at AOPA in the USA, they fight against EVERY airport closure, what does the phlippine aviation community do??

If you want to fly here, airline or nothing in ten years
ArrowMark