PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia-Tell me it aint true! (Merged Thread)
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 05:58
loveflying737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez what a crock of s@%t. If it is such a sacrifice to move to Australia and take jobs from all the well qualified and experienced Aussie crews - then don't do it. I think what you really want to say is - what a great opportunity to get me and my mates a widebody gig based in the best country in the world. By all means if you are qualified and we are short on crews come on down, just be honest mate
Jetblues - Please read the post again - no-one said it is a sacrifice to move to Australia. We all know what a great country it is. The sacrifice comes in leaving behind everything one has built up, in the case of older guys a lot more than a younger person. You leave behind family, friends and in many cases an established career. It is not something one does just because you know Aussie is a great country, the reasons are far more complex. If you have never had to make the decision it is hard to understand.

To be honest - many people are sceptical about SAs future, they are worried because personal safety is at risk daily, the infrastructure in the country is detriorating rapidly, the value of the currency is volatile. They need to move to a place where they are offered the privilege of a safe environment in which to live, a sound infrastructure and a realitively stable currency.

Australia has an immigration policy and no-one is going to bypass the system. There are jobs available and if they are offered to pilots from other countries because the Australian pilots don't want them for whatever reason, these pilots are probably going to accept them.

The only reason any Australian company would offer the jobs to non Austalian citizens / residents is if there are not enough suitable Australian pilots who apply for the positions. Now if the Australian pilots are loathe to pay the tax required to sustain their beautiful country then that is their prerogative, please don't hack the pilots are willing to accept the salaries offered. From the figures being bandied about the salaries that will be offered by VA do not seem too bad. I have many friends in Australia who live very well on a lot less.

I understand that there is an agreement in place which does give the VB pilots first bite at the apple so that issue can surely be laid to rest.

Bottom line if Australian pilots with the skills won't work for the salaries being offered, the companies will look elsewhere to find the skills required.
I believe that this practice is common in most countries and is followed by most companies.

Its called globalisation mate.