PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2007, 12:24
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
The issue with tolerating a flying chunk is the energy of the chunk, not its diameter. As I am quite sure you have heard a few times, that size doesn't matter.
But that is not true. If I shoot a composite rotor blade with a high energy 23mm bullet doing mach 3, (and therefore having lots of energy) the bullet will make a hole and pass right through, still doing mach 2.

Where the item has sufficient energy to pass right through, only a small part of that energy is transferred into damaging the rotor blade. If instead I sent a 230mm chunk through with the same amount of energy (going a lot slower of course) it would be quite capable of severing the rotor blade.

I know, because I helped issue the report that said so.
I guess that will be written in the same style as the one that said the S92 did not need to meet the 30 mins dry running time for the gearbox because total loss of lubrication was something that could never happen to an S92. Yea, right...

Saying size doesn't matter is sooo 90s. In the noughtys sized definitely does matter. But I guess you will never know...

Once again, stop your blatant lying! The 225 does meet the certification requriements for FAR and CS 29 regarding turbine burst protection. Have a look at the tcds if your memory is so poor that you can't remember. The AS332L does not meet them, neither does the S76, S61 etc, because the regs have been changed since they were certified.

HC