PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union......a step closer
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2007, 06:42
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree that the JPC struck a very poor deal on the widebody. Are you suggesting that AIPA would have negotiated THEM a better one?
Yes, Many phonecalls and emails were sent to RH offering advice, analysis and support. It appeared at the time that none of this was passed on to other members of the JPC. You would recall that with the first Jetstar deal (Impulse pilots to fly the A320) that Dixon held a loaded gun to the heads of the Impulse pilots - SIGN UP OR ELSE. there was no loaded gun when the widebody award was offered. More skilled industrial staff would have advised ways of achieving more. ie I sent an e-mail to RH asking him to consider separating the various types ie A330-200, B787-8 and B787-9. The extra efficiency of the B787-9 over the -8 which was more efficient than the A332 meant that J* Intl had a capacity to pay more on the more efficient types. Instead, the JPC meekly accepted one award (with relatively poor remuneration and conditions) for all widebody types that J* purchases - even A380's (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Experienced industrial support would have resulted in a much better CA.

One of the concerns now is that as Jetstar is inexperienced in introducing a new type, the B787 aircraft may not come fitted with various items that will be required by mainline. The first 15 are -8's which eventually (when they are replaced in J* by -9's) will be transferred to mainline for primarily domestic/Tasman flying. Various items that are required by mainline will have to be fitted at great expense after transfer, whereas if they had been factory fitted, the cost would be considerably less. The QF GM Technical has been trying to get things factory fitted prior to delivery to J* but unfortunately, he is not receiving much support from his J* equivalent. I hope that the two groups can work together to get the best aircraft possible.

Last edited by Going Boeing; 21st Dec 2007 at 06:52.