PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union......a step closer
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2007, 03:00
VH-JJW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem with anyone attempting to raise the bar as far as industry conditions go.

However, I hold a great deal of scepticism with regards to AIPA's attempts to gain control of the Jetstar membership.

Who are and always will be the majority of AIPA?

Who controls AIPA?

Prior to Jetstar, what interest did AIPA display in furthering the conditions of Qantas 'Group' pilots?

How were the Australian Airlines pilots treated by AIPA post the QF take-over of that airline?

What is AIPA's REAL motive?

I would put to the readers that AIPA is engaged in a thinly veiled attempt to remove Jetstar pilots from widebody cockpits and replace them with QF pilots. Jetstar International is the real pain in the -400 pilots side as it could eventually threaten even their T's and C's.

Contrary to Genex, I beleive AIPA understand's the need for domestic LCC's, they do not pose a threat to the final career destination of the majority of AIPA members, however, JQI is a major threat, particularly as the advent of the 787 presents AIPA with a diabolical challenge to secure seats and promotions.

In the TN takeover AIPA sought to marginalise the TN pilots onto the 737, to the point that when the AO A300's were retired they were replaced by B767's crewed by Q list pilots. At one stage this threatened redundancies from the A list. Many A list F/O's did over 10 years in the 737 before command whilst Q list crewed 767's took over more and more domestic flying, with many rapid promotions for Q listers (many are the current AIPA leadership). Eventually the A330's provided for some A list movement.

How did this come about? AIPA at its best, protecting its core membership. AIPA does this well, QF B744 and A330 pilots are some of the better paid by world standards, AUD$220k plus plus is good money for an F/O on a B744.

From a commercial perspective, even if AIPA gains a majority of Regional and Jetstar membership, it will take a considerable length of time to recoup the costs of winning this coverage case. Very altruistic, but again I see other motives.

Why am I sceptical you ask? Its not that Leopards may not WANT to change their spots - they simply cannot.

Last edited by VH-JJW; 21st Dec 2007 at 04:34.