PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you make of this?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 11:51
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem with someone who has done a four year apprentiship, and studied to get the qualification, calling themselves an engineer. The objection comes from when the term "engineer" is used by some accountant to describe the guy who is filling in a pothole.

To clarify my profession from the highly qualified and respectable profession of helicopter maintenance engineer, i use the term design engineer. My actual job description is durability, dynamics and design engineer (sadly outside of helicopters). I have no problem at all with rolling up my sleeves and helping out to build a new prototype, and will willingly accept the advise of an experienced mechanic.

I used the term technician in my ealier post to differentiate between design and maintenance activities. I do not regard a technician as a lower profession, and frankly could not do what the technicians i work with do. They have no problem with being called technicians - it implies technical expertise in a specific application.