PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye FACA!
Thread: Goodbye FACA!
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 01:21
BScaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC

NC, I respect your opinion, perhaps I should expand on my views - we may have to agree to differ on this one.
ST has been working on the legal side for quite a while. I don't know that any AOA action would have stopped them implementing it.
What appears to have got the Company's attention on the Dragon front, was two years of contract compliance plus a raft of resignations.

In lieu of ST's beavering away on the legal front and spending the association's money in this area, perhaps he should ask the membership what measures they would be prepared to adopt to assert their claim to fairer treatment. Contract compliance, for instance, could hardly be seen as industrial action since it is simply working to an agreed contract. Anything over and above this could be seen by some to be delivering favours to the Company.

If the membership were in fact prepared to go down the road of contract compliance, perhaps this would cause the Company to rethink some of the measures that they have unilaterally imposed to date. With close to 100 letters being sent out per month thanking officers for working on G-Days, (and assuming contract compliance was taken up by the majority af Cathay aircrew), one would think that this would put some pressure on the Company - without having to spend even one cent on lawyers fees. This would go against ST's policy to attempt to attain 'modern industrial relations', but I would say that his approach in this regard has patently failed us already.

Despite ST working ever so hard, I do believe he is doing so from completely the wrong perspective, and not taking most junior officer's situations into account in the direction he is taking. The Company has rolled over the AOA in imposing CoS08, and now it is rolling over the AOA yet again in imposing its own interpretation of the demise of FACA.

The Company is doing this because, based upon ST's past (in)actions, despite concerns from most junior officers in the Company, and despite the world-wide pilot shortage, it believes it can.

I therefore stand by my comment.