PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigators
Thread: Navigators
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2001, 04:16
superfurryanimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carl,

Whatever you decide, for God's sake make sure you have a robust back up plan. I went through the UAS route some 10 years ago with a view to joining as a pilot (thoroughly recommend the UAS - what a blast!!!), but chose not to join and left Uni only to find myself unemployed. No back up plan to a lifetime of wanting to go FJ you see (oh, the violins!!!).
However, did end up spending 8 years in retail management (dull, dull, dull), saw John Nichol in Woolies at Ripon (cheapskate didn't even buy any of my lovingly tended pic n mix! - sorry Mr. Nichol sir) and only now am I pursuing a flying career with the airlines. As much as I enjoy my current situation, I'm really not sure that I wouldn't be VERY interested in a job back seating in a FJ, even if it had to be as talking baggage. The lifestyle can be great (I only said CAN), and from experience you wil meet as many plonkers regardless of the branch (or service) you eventually decide on.
Whatever happens, good luck. Oh to be young again.
As far as career opportunities, well the only Navs I know are now (or rather, were) civvy pilots or ground instructors at my FTO.

Flying sure beats working for a living!