PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 15:41
SLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has been a very interesting read, and I have to say that some of my opinions have been confirmed while others have been altered by what's been said here - from both sides. Which is a good thing. I haven't posted my own thoughts here because in general they've been so eloquently put forward by Kasual Observer, Tags, Digitalis and others....

However, the last couple of paragraphs from vsfsm can't really be allowed to slip by.....

I don't think anyone here is in any doubt as to the effort that the cabin crew reps have made. Being a union rep is virtually a full time job in and of itself - I know how hard our own BALPA guys work on our behalf and we are all heartily thankful to them for that.

However - your assertion that there is a perception within the pilot community that all things crew will forever be inferior to all things pilot is so wide of the mark it's untrue. If that's what you really think then sadly you haven't understood us at all..... Flying is a team sport - always has been and always will be. The pilots at Virgin have given the crew their support, their advice when asked for it, and have stood right behind you up to this point. All we are hoping to achieve by these discussions is make sure that as many crew as possible make an informed decision based on fact, not the endless run of drivel that is Galley FM. You as crew have to make your own decision based on what you really believe, with all the facts to hand and having examined the pros and the cons. Informed debate - that's all we're trying to achieve.....

You will never fully understand what is or isn't important to cabin crew and so you will never understand how our union negotiates.
If you feel we don't understand what's important to you guys then inform us! From conversations I've had, very few people seem to know what they want out of this. A few have a clear picture of what's acceptable but I'd say over 90% of the crew I've spoken to have no idea of what would make the pay deal acceptable for them. Galley FM adds to the confusion with absolute rubbish being reported as "fact" and then no one's any idea which way to go. And as for "the way your union negotiates", it may sound a little harsh to say, but if how they've negotiated this shambles is how "they do it" then they don't seem to be very sure themselves, and I'm certainly glad they don't represent us.... That's something I certainly hope will be addressed by the members once a solution is reached to the current situation. It's plain that Unite have not served you well....

Also, as long as large elements of your pay are based on profit cabin crew will always find it hard to believe that your advise comes from the heart and not the pocket.
That's not a belief I've even heard put forward before. I'm sorry if that's what you believe but as has been said before - we're all in this together. Company does well - we all do well, do badly - we all do badly. Anyway - what profit????

I hope everyone uses their vote in whichever direction they believe is best. Merry Christmas everyone!!!