PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family helicopter.
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:51
Rotormotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everybody! Thanks again for the replies and PM's

gov1: never really considered the A119, too big and heavy I think. Also, wasn't the only one in the UK a rally support vehicle?

docstone: Hello again; I won't confuse the two, I just mentioned it in a sense of fair play.

skidbiter2: Great post, you obviously have a lot of experience. I haven't quite got to night flying yet, but I'd like to try and master it at some stage. I'd love to do 100 hours a month, but I doubt it, I have to do some work... I think that the reasons you outlined are also the reasons that these two machines are still in demand and holding their prices.

FFF:
I would err towards the AS350, but I also really like the B407
Got it in one there! That's the nub of the problem. I also really like your use of the word 'allude'! I'm not being deliberately circumspect, I really am trying to appreciate both helicopters in every way. I could wait until Heli-expo in Feb, though I did want to have started the process by then, but you make a good point. Was your aircraft acquisition course in the US? Thanks for the reply.

Impress to inflate: I do think big, it's just that my accountant hasn't quite grasped the concept yet, he keeps telling me that I have fiscal limitations, and that I have to consider running costs! I just wish he'd get with 'my' acquisition program Pee Ess. The tribe's enough; in-laws and friends too!

Dynamic Component: I'm not aware of the engine-swap thing with the As350, is that an end-of-life thing or routine maintenance? Thanks for the great heads-up for Eurocopter service, you are the third positive vote for them. Unfortunately nobody has said anything good about Turbomeca service? Anybody?

Great replies again, and great PM's too. I have been privately chided for discounting the Longranger, and ignoring the fact that it fits my needs perfectly. Also I have had another vote for the Longranger, so I mustn't ignore it.

FFF got it right with the As350 leaning; but now I have two Bells to hold in consideration, the 407 and the 206L4. I can't ignore them despite their somewhat 'ancient' architecture . One Rotorhead runs both types and tells me that he prefers the 407. This about sums it up. Any more two cents worth would be greatly appreciated. More soon in this acquisition saga!

Rotormotor.

Last edited by Rotormotor; 20th Dec 2007 at 07:47. Reason: Forgot smiley!