PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you make of this?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 01:51
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The term 'engineer' is vastly different in countries that have ties to England (Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK) than anywhere else in the world.

I was rather surprised that Canada allowed aircraft repair technicians to have the title 'engineer' (as in Aircraft Maintenance Engineer- AME) appended to their designation. There was considerable opposition to this from the various provincial Professional Engineering councils, but as this was a federally mandated title, these organization's issues were dismissed.

I'm surprised that the term Engineer is still allowed to be used the way it is in England, as the Europeans have an entirely different view of things, and I thought the EU would have demanded something be done about the situation. But then again, England still uses miles, quarts, and pints....

I don't wish to put down those who fix and maintain aircraft of any description, but they are not 'Engineers' in the generally accepted definition of the term in Canada or the US, nor I think in Australia or New Zealand.