PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Records
Thread: Student Records
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 17:17
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Won't that make the towel rather wet?

When HMFC first discovered computers, someone thought that, instead of narrative reports, a new system of tick sheets could be used, with scores from 1 to 9 for every item of the flight.

Our CFI refused to have anything to do with them. "What the hell is 'above average' taxying?", he asked. So firmly were these silly tick sheets opposed that we were allowed to have our own, simple version of recording the elements of a trip at the beginning of the folder (so it was easy to see at a glance when, for example, he/she last flew a steep turn or a flapless approach or whatever) - backed up by narrative comment.

Some months later, all the others who'd suffered these silly tick sheets threw them away and adopted our system.

We were required to comment 3 times a year on our students' overall progress, attitude and technique. One of my little buggers hadn't ever turned up, so all I wrote was "Who?". The CFI said that wasn't enough, I had to write more......

Acting Pilot Officer Bloggs:

Progress - Bloggs has not attended for flying once this term, so has made no progress.

Atttiude - Since I have never met Bloggs, I am unable to comment beyond stating that he obviously isn't terribly keen.

Technique - Unable to assess or comment.

"Hmm", said the CFI, "I see what you mean. Time to chop the little bugger!"