PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - mil jet 'break' landing
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 00:31
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tactical aim of the fighter break and stream landing used to be to get the formation on the ground as quickly as possible for refuelling/rearming. The section approached the airfield at operational speed in low level battle formation ( deeply echelonned finger four)and the leader broke over his No 2. Approaching the airfield unnecessarily fast entailed more time to kill speed and so took longer.

In my time, for normal purposes, the section would approach the airfield at 360-400 KIAS in echelon starboard (for a LH circuit) at 50 ft (for a single section). At the caravan the leader broke left, reefing it up at about 4g, popped his brakes, power off, 30% flap at 200KIAS, brakes In and gear down at 175 K/1000ft, continuing into a curved approach feeding down more flap as required, not touching the throttles and, ideally, rolling straight and putting it on the numbers at 110K. Nos 2,3 & 4 followed him at precisely one second intervals, which gave them a short downwind leg. The idea was NOT to have to use much power, and so give the chaps behind a rough ride. The other sections were close line astern to the lead section and, if people kept their fingers out, it was possible to have 16 on the runway at once. I seem to remember 111 (the Black Arrows) had 20 Hunters on the Farnborough runway at once in 1957. Some squadrons used a fan break, using increasing turn radii to space thmeselves out, but I don't think that looked so smart. Even spacing downwind and on finals was the tell-tale whether the fellas knew their stuff (or not).