PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - mil jet 'break' landing
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2001, 04:39
AffableGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at Pearson too watching the landings and takeoffs, alternating between 24R (all the landings and breaks) and 23 (takeoffs).

Well, in terms of rules, I have no idea. But I was sitting beside the firehall today, when the Hawk literally flew in front of a AC DC-9 in position on 24R, at no more than 150 ft off the ground, before he broke. The DC-9 took off, before he came back to land. Very impressive.

The Transall C-160 was the funniest one. Had the smallest turning radius, did his break and land within one square mile, I'm guessing.

The Tornado pilots were a bit wimpier, though. More like a thousand feet when they did the flyby... (Us spectators are picky.)

Two other things of note:

a) What happened to Snowbird 9? Made an emergency landing, and because I was right beside the firehall, got treated to a loud dose of sirens which blocked out my radio. The plane was alright, though, seemingly, though the firetrucks decided to follow it to the de-icing pad anyway.

b) The Thunderbirds takeoff run was quite spectacular. 4-2-2 formation (kinda like Football), full afterburner...amazing stuff.

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: AffableGuy ]