PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family helicopter.
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 12:05
Rotormotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everybody,

Helonorth: Thanks and another vote for the 407, I could be leaning...?

Bravo73: Hmmm? After chatting with the wife and various sprogs they seem to agree with this; it appears there may be 'It's your turn to go backwards' kind of arguments. Another for the As350.

MSPaviation: I've 'got' this now, and this is the crux of what I didn't understand at the beginning.

nigelh: Another vote for the As350! Thanks for that, and the power reference guide.

rockpecker: Thanks for taking the time. Are you up in the Rockies or something like that? Another vote for the As350, but you seem to reckon that the 407 is more expensive to run? But that's what the 407 chaps say about the As350 too?

So it seems that I've narrowed it down to the Bell 407 and the As350, and there's 45 350's on the Uk register (44 with absent friends) and just five 407's -that I could see- so more people and organisations have plumped for the As350.

Yet I keep seeing reference to the poor support of Eurocopter, and indeed have read a few threads on this here. But in fairness I have also read of the Agusta/Bell parts non-conformance thing too.

I would ask then, all those of you who have recommended the As350, what is your experience of Eurocopter's support? I don't intend to bash them, I sincerely want to know. PM me if you wish. As a potential private owner, the prospect of an expensive missed summer doesn't appeal much.

In closing for now; it would seem to me that the As350 is the best 'family' oriented choice, but the Bell 407 is the best supported and, perhaps crucially, more reliable?

Thanks everybody for your continued support and time taken, it is much appreciated.

Rotormotor.