PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA(Mauritius) OZ Jobs
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2001, 08:09
tulips

Tosh26, thank you for an informative post!

A couple of questions, for clarity:
Regarding the legal position of a pilot based in Oz in this way. I would have thought that he would HAVE to comply with Oz laws, irrespective of whether he signs a contract with SIA-M. Surely if SIA-M allowed 1500 hours per year and CASA allowed only 1000, he would have to comply? After all, he is working, earning and paying tax in OZ. Thus he must enjoy the benefit of the country's legal system (and comply to it).
Similarly, in the event of a dispute. SIA-M cannot be just a paper company in Oz. There has to be a tangible, legal company that employs people in Oz (otherwise it could not pay in AUD!), that files company statements with the Revenue authorities, etc. During a contract violation by SIA-M or a dispute, could the pilot not take the Oz company to the Oz courts for redress?

I have no intention of applying for the position, but am interested as the above would hold water in most Western countries (abide by the local laws, have a local company registered, pay the local taxes, etc). Is it very different in Oz?

If you have more info on this, I am sure that a number of pilots would find it useful.