PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there PPRUNE-like forum for the layperson?
Old 17th Dec 2007, 17:43
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps up landing...

Hola mp413 -
xxx
I try to advise passengers (whenever possible) if a minor (and certainly if major) problem occurs, if time permits, in Spanish, English and French, about the reasons of delays, procedures, and "howgozit" of the flight. Well, do not expect too much if something keeps us busy up there in the flight deck.
xxx
Funny thing is you mention "flaps up"... Must not be a Boeing plane you were flying... We have alternate flaps extension procedures in 747s... which never failed (at least with me), so much that "flaps up" procedures are not even part of simulator the training curriculum we have... I never did one in a 747 simulator... although I know it requires an increase of 50 kts above the normal approach speed.
xxx
Flaps are normally operated with the hydraulic systems. If that fails (no flaps, or split or assymetric flaps, partial flaps, leading edge or trailing edge) we have alternate extension of these flaps by electric motors... which then take long time to operate, typical such procedures require extra 15 minutes to configure the flaps for landing.
xxx
As BOAC says, I would not fail to go to the L-2 "passenger exit door" of the 747, and I would - with pleasure - apologize to passengers and answer any questions. And yes, bored at my desk which I fly much nowadays, it has happened that I answer passenger inquiries, about my own flights, or even about other flights.
xxx
I get some PMs quite often, certainly like many other pilots with Pprune, and whenever I can answer a question, it is with pleasure... In the old days of cockpit visits and open doors, I used to welcome many passengers to shake hands. Many "little-old-ladies" lost their fear of flying with my smile, and many "wannabee-pilots" got on the jump seat for landing...
xxx

Happy contrails