PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Lynx A Rip Off?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2007, 03:23
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack,

I have no idea who you write for and to be honest apart from some very selective productions/articles I genuinely have a real phobia with journos/media that are trying to put either their own hype on a story or some other spin.

But on this one, as someone that has benefitted from the UK going down the UK Westlands route (lets have a look at which DAS our US colleagues are now retrofitting) - and also lets look at the Rolls Royce engines - and then lets look at the support that is being given to ensure that we do fight the capability.

I am certainly no fan of industry - and they sure do take their slice in profits - but from the UK AH experience I am a satisified operator doing the business as we speak.

If we dont keep our own UK industry alive then at best we will be driven into a monopolised Eurocopter buy (because it is European and because AgustaWestlands is included in NHi) and at worst when/if/maybe we actually do need to stand on our 2 feet then all of the skill sets will be gone.

The key is to ensure that whatever is procured it belongs to the UK - and the UK can play around with and bolt on what they like, at short notice, without having to go to a non-UK party to ask permission (and be charged millions for the privelledge).

As to the Future Lynx/Blackhawk debate - how many years have we been doing this? Ask the politicians, and airships and Colonel Blimps what they want to do with the airframe and then make your choice. If it is ISTAR/ISR to cue other assets - Lynx will do just fine. If it is tactical troop lift, then Blackhawks will do just fine. If you are trying to be a jack of all trades then always someone will have to compromise.

This is where I am a realist and if Westlands had the nounce they would be covering all bases with a multitude of options - ranging from Future Lynx through to Blackhawks - with a 1001 re-roling options inbetween (ranging from a pseudo Sea Hawk through to a pseudo HH-60) - same fleet, same cockpit, same training pipeline, just bolt on the extras - plug and play - tools in the golf bag and all the other Chumley Warner sayings that seem to be used by those that actually mean we dont have the cash to do it properly so we will do the best cuff that we can.

P.S. Please please please - before anyone buys anything and starts talking capability, please can they make sure it flys where it is being asked to fly. No point in having a shiney new helicopter if the whole design philosophy was based upon to +15 at Sea Level - reality ain't like that and I am sure that some of our European manufactures may be sorely lacking when asked to prove what the true operational envelope is of the aircraft that they are marketing. Do the figures boys - nothing worst than sending an aircraft fleet home because it is too hot or too high - and nothing worst than having an aircraft designed to lift 17 or so, and only being able to lift 6 when it counts. Surely modern technology and the design boffins must surely be aware of this?

Last edited by Front Seater; 17th Dec 2007 at 03:36.