PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this the logical thing to do...
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2007, 08:54
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "is it worth it?" question is only one that you can answer.

To put things into perpective, if you need to get in to debt to do it, it would be worth looking into the exact figures, ie, how much you could expect in terms of take home salary and how much it will actually cost to service that debt.

I saved for a significant amount of the costs of my fATPL before training so I can only relate anecdotal stories from friends/ colleagues about serious debt. Eg, at the airline I am at, as FOs we take home approx £3,000 per month. I understand the rule of thumb is £100 of debt repayment per month for every £10,000 you borrow, so even if you borrow £50,000 you'd still be looking at a reasonable salary.

Of course, at the other end of the scale, you could be flight instructing for a year or two post qualification. As fine a job as that is, it doesn't pay that well and you then might struggle with the debt finance.

I've only been flying professionally for two years so I'm still in the honeymoon period with the job, so if asked if its worth it my answer would simply be "hell, yeah!" but like I said, my debt levels aren't as big as most.

Hopefully you'll get plenty of replies with both positive and negative experiences that can show you both sides of the coin.