PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2007, 10:12
TheSmiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Chugulug said a few posts ago
He deals with the MOD woods, rather than contentious RAF trees. It seems to me that is where the thread should be concentrating, especially given, as tuc reminds us, the CinC's comments on the BOI's findings.
This whole sorry episode is entering a new phase, and, although tucumseh has already posted the upcoming review's ToR's, here is the whole statement from Des Browne as reported in Hansard 13th Dec - it may answer a few questions or promote further discussion.

I told the House on 4 December that, following the board of inquiry's report about the loss of Nimrod XV230, I would establish an independent review by a senior Queen's counsel into a range of broader issues which were outside the scope of the BOI's investigation. I am now able to set out the details of that review.
The review will be conducted by Charles Haddon-Cave QC. Mr. Haddon-Cave has wide experience of aviation and safety matters, having been instructed in all the major aviation and marine inquiries in England in the last 20 years. His report will be published in fall, subject to considerations of operational security, together with my response to it.
The terms of reference for the review are as follows:
In the light of the board of inquiry report:
to examine the arrangements for assuring the airworthiness and safe operation of the Nimrod MR2 in the period from its introduction in 1979 to the accident on 2 September 2006, including hazard analysis, the safety case completed in 2005, maintenance arrangements, and responses to any earlier incidents which might have highlighted the risk and led to corrective action;
to assess where responsibility lies for any failures and what lessons are to be learned;
to assess more broadly the process for compiling safety cases, taking account of best practice in the civilian and military world;
and to make recommendations to the Secretary of State as soon as practicable, if necessary by way of interim reports.
Appropriate technical expertise will be made available to the reviewer. The reviewer will be able to recommend a public inquiry if he considers this necessary.
The review will have the full support of the Ministry of Defence. All relevant papers will be made available and everyone who can assist the review will be instructed to do so. In order to encourage openness, evidence given during the course of the review will not be used in disciplinary proceedings against the individual who gave it unless there is evidence of gross misconduct. The MOD will also provide Mr. Haddon-Cave, at his request, with a secretariat for the review.
BAE Systems and QinetiQ have confirmed that Mr. Haddon-Cave will have their full co-operation. The MOD and the companies are committed to ensuring that the review has available to it all the technical expertise that it will require. I would expect any other companies whose assistance may be required to follow suit.
Mr. Haddon-Cave will ensure that the families are kept informed of the progress of the review.
It is of the utmost importance that an authoritative and independent analysis is conducted of the background circumstances to the loss of Nimrod XV230. The task which Mr. Haddon-Cave has undertaken will be complex but I have asked him to ensure that information that would assist our understanding of this tragic loss is published without undue delay.
Your honour, I call Mr Tucumseh as first witness.