PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2007, 08:32
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
mileandahalf

First of all I see that nobody actually answered my question as to what is routine AAR, as opposed to what is operationally essential!

I was not attempting to speculate, but if no Nimrod AAR is deemed routine then none was suspended post 230. I know, please don't attempt to deny it, that Nimrod AAR has taken place more than once in the UK FIR since the loss of 230.

No doubt this was deemed 'operationally essential' in terms of training up crews pre deployment. Were other options considered for the short term post 230, like keeping a small pool of pilots/engs AAR current by in theatre flying who then regularly rotate and fly with standard crews to supplement them for AAR missions, thus avoiding the need for AAR training flights in the UK FIR - hard on the small pool of individuals, but reducing uneccessary risk. Or deploying an AARI to the Gulf. Both of these options were probably possible, albeit a pain. Or was it just a case of doing things as they have always been done?

I can fully accept that it is 'operationally essential' that a Nimrod crew about to deploy needs to be capable of carrying out missions involving AAR. However, is it operationally essential for the pilot and eng of that particular crew to be AAR capable, or simply that they carry an AAR qualified/current pilot and eng for such missions? If the latter is feasible how can it be achieved while minimising the need for currency/qualification AAR sorties in the UK.

Writing that only 'operationally essential' AAR be conducted is fairly easy, how this was then implimented will say much of the mindset of the organisations involved.

Last edited by Biggus; 15th Dec 2007 at 09:05.