PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates recruiting
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2007, 00:27
Supersonic Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most are correct here when they talk about the lifestyle versus money when thinking about flying overseas. However something to think about is that both are achievable if you are prepared to do at least a few years overseas (and maybe young enough as well). Just trying to share my own personal experiences.

I have been away from home for 10 years and am a couple of months away from starting a new job back home and returning with my family. Everyone has a different opinion of what 'lifestyle' is. I left when I was unmarried and had no kids and for many years at the start of my expat career I think I had a pretty good lifestyle. It wasn't until my family came along later that we grew tired of carting kids all around the world and started looking for ways to go back home.

Becoming an expat propelled my career and provided me great financial reward for very little sacrifice in the early years. I am lucky that with the current demand for experienced drivers down under I am able to slip back into the industry at the very time I would like to cease living overseas. Without trying to offend, the excuse of not leaving home because of the lack of lifestyle overseas is often used by those that have never done so. Most of my colleagues don't consider their lifestyle that bad but also most would like to return home in at some point in the future.

If I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing and I will always look back on my decision to leave home as one of the best things I ever did. Nothing has to be forever and now I have the ability to watch my young kids grows up back home and be alot more comfortable financially in the process than I would have been if I had not left.

Go with a mind to giving it 5 or 10 years to get ahead and then look at coming back.