PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go around at LHR
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 20:48
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a g/a on a runway with one already on the roll. I've never seen it and I've been there a few years.
Dozza2K,

You don't recall the British Midland v British Airways occassion on 09R then? I thought this was quite well documented at the time.

some reluctant to use any reverse
Gonzo,

Reverse thrust does very little but help to keep the brakes cool(er). The autobrake function, as used by just about evry one of the 'heavies' to which you refer, selects a rate of braking which is maintained until the autobrakes are deselected (with feet or fingers). So, given a particular landing speed and braking rate, one can calculate which turn-off should be made (but doesn't allow for the flypast and touchdown halfway down the runway). By chucking in reverse thrust all that happens is the brakes have to work a little less to achieve the same braking rate, so the temperatures stay down a bit. Using reverse makes no difference to the rollout distance if the autobrakes are left on, although it does look better when the runway's wet and it kicks up lots of local fog

So, what you want is the amazingly talented, good looking and underpaid pilots to use a higher autobrake setting and they'll make the exit you were hoping they would