PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When Will It Get Light?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 19:38
boyo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think cabin crew are getting an unfair beating on this issue.

I'm unclear as to why, but crew rest will always bring out some resentment in passengers.

Lets clear this myth up ------ the issue of crew rest and closed window blinds are completely and totally seperate. Cabin crew bunks are situated at the back of the aircraft and there are no windows to interfere with our bunk rest. Crew who are on bunk rest will not give a monkeys as to whether the blinds are open or closed.

Crew who are on duty will try to keep the windows down for the benefit of other passengers who may be sleeping, and not (as suggested) to maximise their rest - the crew on duty are not on rest and, indeed, may even welcome any distraction during the 'dark' hours to keep themselves occupied (I know I do!)

In addition, there seems to be some grumbling about lack of service/crew in between stipulated meal routines. May I suggest, if this aggrieves you in any way, then you raise it with the inflight services dept of the airline concerned.

We, as crew, operate to specific service standards issued by the company, and in between meal services the service is reduced to a regular juice/water round and a cabin check. Other services (alcohol/hot drinks etc) are on request only. This will obviously seem like crew aren't doing very much during the period between formal services but ultimately, the crew will follow the company service standards for that cabin.

Obviously, the longer the flight, the longer the period is between the meal services, and the longer it will seem that crew aren't very visible. But in the main, the crew are there and ready to deal with any requests and doing the regular cabin checks, specific requests etc.

I've been flying long enough to know that there are some crew out there who aren't as 'responsive' as others, but generally I feel our job is done to standard and done well, and the bad apples are few and far between. As always, it'll always be the minority who spoil it for all of us who do a good job.