PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's Happening at Airways NZ??
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 19:25
SayAgainSally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V801 & Ca

V801 - as CA has stated the Ohakea and Bay sectors (with all the other Radar sectors) are based in Christchurch.

Not want to sound like I am putting you off, but both those sectors are pretty challenging in terms of their traffic mix, (from gliders to jets and EVERYTHING in between -I jest not) and both have high failure rates (but then that appears to par for the course in Airways right now - hence the reason they are looking for people like you)

I don't know what the Bay sector AIL's but I think it is more than the 24% CA says the Ohakea sector gets, but if I had the choice I would go for Bay, as the Ohakea sector is a civil/mil sector.

If possible, make a trip out to NZ before accepting a job, to see which sector you want to work or make it a condition of employment that you can decide when you get here.

As for getting onto another sector, well with the staffing situation as it stands, plan for 3/4 years to move sectors.

Hope this helps.

CA - from what I hear the Ohakea sector does not have the people to staff a night shift, and that Qantas are thinking againg about their requirements in light of the cost given to them by Airways.

Also Airways is getting so desperate on staffing, I hear that the roster re-view is going to be brutal ie if it's not NEEDED it's gone, and in that light already one manager is already an ex, and is training on Bay.

Tell me what you know.

SAS