PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's Happening at Airways NZ??
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 18:55
conflict alert

Spud M

What can I say...been there done that, therefore I know what I'm talking about.
Does this mean you are talking from experience that you found it hard to make ends meet. Everyone's financial situation is different and perhapes because you found it hard, I think it's a pretty bold statement to say overall anyone wanting to come to NZ will only cope with the other partner working. Anyway, this is a forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Of course as an ATCO you earn considerably above average, but I would suggest that NZ ATCOs are amongst the worst paid in the so called western hemisphere. And getting taxed around 30 per cent on your comparatively low salary is just plain ridiculous.
Can you give some comparisons then? I know the wages are not fantastic for a brand new controller at a domestic tower, but other than Queenstown or Whenuapai most domestic tower locations are in area's where accomodation are not at city prices and at the end of the day that is the single biggest cost bar a mortgage. As soon as they move up the scale to International Towers/Oceanic/Radar the coin gets much better and the longer you stay the better it gets again.

I have seen the Ozzy pay scales and comparing top of the scale with top of the scale, it looks like you would end up with pretty similar take home pay given the higher tax in Oz.

I seem to recall seeing a post from someone from the FAA sometime ago, while I can't remember the figure I recall thinking they were on a similar level to here. Sure if you convert what each country earns to NZD you will go WOW but then your not living in their economy so you can't compare like that.

I have seen ads in Flight International for UK controllers salary 35-40000pounds (my kiwi keyboard doesn't have a pound symbol!).

I have visited all these places and I have found pricing similar eg. something costs 5 NZD in NZ - similar thing over in the states will cost 5USD etc etc.

So I am interested in your comparisons. Don't use UAE as an example because pay rates have only just changed.