PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next Years Pay Award
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2007, 20:31
Shadwell the old

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Work offshore

Having completed my "career" in the RAF, I decided that I was too young to retire, so I now work offshore. So what are the benefits?

When I leave home on travel that is organised for me with no input from me, I do not pay for anything. I work off the coast of Denmark and my travel to Aberdeen by train is paid, along with my air fare to Esbjerg (from Aberdeen). When I arrive at Esbjerg, as there is an overnight stay before I go to the rig, there is a paid for taxi waiting to take me to my hotel where I have a single room and £25 for a steak meal and non alcoholic drinks. The following morning I have breakfast and a taxi to collect me and take me to the airport where the helo takes me offshore.

On the way back if I have an overnight stay caused by poor weather I go to the hotel again where I have a meal and alcoholic drinks paid by the company, plus an extra days pay.

We are still awaiting this years pay award which will be backdated. 8% has been rejected and the norm is probably going to be 13% for the year, plus £1000 payment every 3 months in lieu of holiday. I get overtime at time and a half if I work beyond my rostered 12 hours per day - no question. If I agree to do extra days, I also get time and a half. For working Christmas and new year, I get an extra £75 per day for the 3 days considered holidays. Do I feel valued? Yes. My pay is always correct and paid on time - no waiting for it to catch up. We were delayed leaving the rig by 6 hours last trip, and the result was an extra days pay for all concerned. And as for the pension, they match your contributions to 5%, and give you a 10% of your annual salary supplement into your pension account at the end of the year if the company makes a profit.

This is not a recruiting drive for offshore, but merely to demonstrate the contrast in the way we can be dealt with by a caring employer. When I tell the guys on board the rig that the Services were awarded a 2.8% pay rise this year, with little prospect of anything better this coming year, they think I am having a laugh.

Merry Christmas to you all and fly and stay safe.