PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia-Tell me it aint true! (Merged Thread)
Old 13th Dec 2007, 03:56
Launch_code_Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they are doing LA they will probably use a 4 man crew (assumption - 1 Capt, 1 Senior FO & 2 junior FO's) for Flight & Duty limits @M.84.
The problem with this for the Junior FO's is that promotion to the RHS will be at half speed (twice as many junior FO's as Senior).
Unlike qf & j* where there is a defined path to a window seat in for the third crew member in the industrial instruments, given that V don't or won't tell T&C's it could be a long wait. Will crew be able to transfer to VB?
Worse 'Cruise' EFFO time is not given much credit by most operators. They all want to know actual "hand-on-stick" time.
If I was a manager, and I was a bastard, knowing there was a potential shortage looming I would want to employ the least qualified junior FO's I could get my hands on, knowing 'Cruise time' counts for nought, I could effectively 'trap' crew & reduce turnover at the bottom. DEC's & DEFO's may well be easier to find.
I know that sound harsh, cruel & cynical but I have seen this sought of thought process employed numerous times within this industry. For that, I am truly sorry.
Sorry to burst the bubble.