PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - circuit heights
Thread: circuit heights
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2007, 09:43
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tmbstory" what you say is correct I doubt anyone here with experience would say otherwise but you miss the point (the point I was trying to bring across that is) a little I feel. We are dealing with pilots from all walks of life here, some wouldn't even know how to interpret a vasi or papi system day or night. Dme is a luxury at most country strips but GPS is more common but I doubt a lot of private pilots use it to assist in Cat. circling limitations.

I'm more concerned at the basic country strip where lots of basic pilots visit & know little else other than to maintain basic flight standards. Sometimes flying over a visual fixed position is required by local rules so that kind of throws out yr theory there of 'look & judge". In fact flying over a fixed landmark due to local rules (such as avoiding houses) is better at least you would know pretty much where to look for someone if you believe they are where they are meant to be. Still I respect yr post just that it may go over the heads of some here who fly with limited knowledge & not aspiring to do it better the next time.
I'm not having a go at anyone here esspecially those that do their best am more concerned that some out there just don't know any better of managing their circuit standards & R/T proceedures for that matter & like I said before that comes from education.
The original concept of separation of varying A/C types due to speed using diff circuit heights works to a point but does have it's downfalls, afterall we all flew at the same height for many years with the same radio problems but now we have to descend sometime to the lower guys level & we used to only do that on the dead side of a circuit, now we do it with the added risk of someone being right under us at the wrong time & we may not even know about it!

Regards

Capt Wally :-)