PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - circuit heights
Thread: circuit heights
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2007, 02:42
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cap'n Arrr yr quite correct as to the exact regs & have recited them here in parrot fashion, (tnxs 4 that) but the only trouble is we ain't dealing with 'parrots'(well some might think we are!). Humans tend to not do things the same every time esspecially when the pressure is on even if well trained, CFIT it a good Eg of that failing.

Krusty 34, good post. There's some good feedback here now so lets ignore the few that contribute nothing to this very important issue. I brought it (circuit heights) up 'cause of a few potential accidents/incedents I have either been a part of or have witnessed in recent times. Now that it's been a while since the regs where introduced some concerns are showing up here already.

"SQK".....excellent point about not being able to see the wind sock at
1500 AGL. In times of poor light due haze etc it is quite difficult to see the direction of the wind via the sock esspecially in some older types of A/C that have poor vision thru ageing side windows. You can in this case where weather maybe of a concern enter or descend (safely that is) to a lower circuit height for a better judgement as to what rwy to use. Of course in doing so it's good airmanship to say as much via the R/T as a general call before hand. Even tho one could ask a fellow aviator already in the circuit (if there is someone obviously) what the wind direction & strength is. I tend personally not to make my landing direction based on that entirely. No disrespect to others but over the years have been told via the radio a wind direction that was nothing like what it actually was. And bringing 5 tonnes or so of bucking craft in gusty conditions to land into a short strip one needs everything going for them including correct analysis if wind direction.

Some good stuff to read so far, tnxs guys/gals

Capt Wally:-)