PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex CityFlyer Routes scrapped by BA
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2001, 19:17
PeeToo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first declare my credentials -
ex CFE, joined BA several years ago;

Staff Travel DOJ
ex CFE joining through merger have original DOJ protected for staff travel - fact
Some (about 4) who joined between merger 'decision' and actual 'implementation' have also retained ST DOJ from CFE - fact
Others who joined BA from CFE (without any break of service, v. important!) are now entitled to have s/t DOJ 're-set' to old CFE DOJ. Should be 'approved' within a few months, but is quite clearly laid down in Staff Travel policy Guide etc.

Redundancy
Seniortiy/DOJ issue is only relevant within fleet. If you employ panel beaters and pain sprayers in your body shop and you have too many panel beaters, there is no obligation under any employment legislation to get rid of the 'most junior' (however defined) first across the whole work force. You only have to let the most junior panel beater go.
No way is BA going to make a load of ATR guts redundant and then train up (say) Clasic 747 pilots to replece them! Fact

Morals
Who should 'morally' have to go - the CFE guy with 17 years in flying and 5 years in CFE, a wife and mortgage?
or the Cadet pilot,
or maybe the self sponsored cadet pilot - totally in debt to the tune of 60K
or maybe the ex-CFE guys who left before the merger (like me) and also have 17 years flying 8 years with 'BA/Franchise' and a wife and mortgage?
Answer - there is no answer, moral judgements cant be made on this sort of thing, it has to be by numbers, and Secret Squirell, I guess I'll go before you, but youll go before some cadet maybe, i dont know!

CFE as a great company
Yes it was, and it could also have paid a damn site more, without seriously affecting its profitability. Unfortunetely the moment BA took over it was doomed, and when it loses money in the next few years, what will be the reason- as far as BA management are concerned - yes, that's right, the cost of 'increasing' CFE pilot salaries - makes you sick doesnt it ; theres none so blind as those etc.