PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KQ Job advertisement
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2007, 18:26
Nightfire

Well, Kotakota, I also learned to fly in Nairobi HKNW a long time ago. Did my first PPL there. Sure, it was great fun, the land is beautiful, the weather always good, there are unique places to fly to, and an empty airspace once you're past the Ngong Hills.
And no doubt do bush pilots know how to handle their aircraft.

But this is nothing to be compared to airline-operations. A heavy jet is not supposed to be handled the same way as a C414 or C208 or B350. Of course you can train (almost) anybody how to adhere to SOPs and to follow rules and regulations, if you invest enough time.
But a bush pilot is not the type of person an airline is looking for. I'm sure British Airways or Virgin Atlantic are not favoring applicants who proudly refer to themselves as "Kenya Cowboys".

Usually, it works the other way round. I know some airline pilots who have left the wide-body in order to work for the GA, for different motivations. One of the reasons, as you have mentioned, is looking for excitement and "real" flying. Which is what you will get.
But the other way round is rare.

It is not the same as in the USA where the normal way is to start in a small company on a turboprop and gradually work your way up.

European and Asian Airlines rather employ some abinitios; CPL-IFR pilots fresh from the flying school with 250 hours of 172-time. You call them "yesmen" and "politically correct twerps". Maybe you are partially right (although this depends on the wanted profile of the HR-department). But whatever: This just supports what I am saying, which is that most airlines are not looking for former safari-adventure-cowboy-carnivore pilots.

With all due respect for people working for MAF, Eagle, Precision Air, etc. - there are many guys who wish they could have the same kind of job. Especially when you're young, have no family, and are free to go wherever you like.

(I was just giving some advice to a newcomer, whose post has just vanished. Maybe he changed his mind.)