PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2007, 14:08
scoobydooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The maths, using the figures of the last vote as example;

Let us assume 3000 crew and imagine a strike ballot is carried by the minimum percentage, e.g. 51%.
Let us also assume only 69% of ballot papers returned as per last vote. (2070 votes)
Let us assume that of the 51% (1055) that vote for industrial action that 50% (527) of them actually carry it through or are scheduled to operate on the days of industrial action (or the return flights)

(I believe these figures are all extreme LOW examples)

I do not honestly believe the company could muster up 527 people. Of those trainers for example some of those crew who are in ground roles are also members of the union and could take part in industrial action.

and based on the posts on here, there are a lot of Union members who will elect to fly should a strike take place. between all of that, there will be little or no disruption.

I would say that the majority of posts on here have supported the last pay offer and to accept it, yet 60% of 2070 said No to the last vote so perhaps post opinion here is not a true representation of cabin crew feeling. Also "to state that between all of that there will be little or no disruption" I understand the company has to portray a positive image to passengers but one has to be realistic too, look what happened when Air France said there will be little or no disruption last month - Carnage ! (yes situation was different but the expectation of business as usual is the same as yours JD)