PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Delays And On Time Performance?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2007, 01:52
B A Lert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More.......

From the Gold Coast paper today

Grounded Tiger, unhidden anger

08Dec07

IT spoiled their holidays and now Tiger Airways is not even sure if it will fully compensate the passengers it stranded on the Gold Coast.

About 170 people were marooned at Gold Coast Airport on Thursday after their flight was cancelled about 5pm.

They had initially being told their 3.25pm flight from Coolangatta to Melbourne had been delayed. An earlier flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast was also cancelled.

Tiger, owned by Singapore Airlines, blamed mysterious 'operational constraints', refusing to elaborate.

Those booked on the cancelled flight to Melbourne were forced to book expensive last minute seats aboard other flights and, in many cases, look for another night's accommodation at their own cost.

Tiger Airways' head of corporate communications, Matt Hobbs, yesterday said the airline had offered to refund fares -- as little as $100 -- to all passengers affected by the cancellations.

But he said Tiger would not cover accommodation costs and might not pay for those who were forced to book other flights at a cost of up to $350 a seat.

"We're not refunding people's accommodation. It's quite clear on our website that you can take the option of travel insurance. It's very cost effective," he said.

Mr Hobbs said he believed everyone affected by the cancellations had made it to their destinations today.

He declined to shed light on the cause of the cancellations.

"There was an operational issue. We don't go into detail about those," he said.

"It wasn't a mechanical issue. Hundreds of flights a year across Australia get cancelled from all carriers.

"It's not unusual, unfortunately, in aviation but when it does happen Tiger will facilitate getting people to their destination as quickly as possible."

Peter Richmond, from central Victoria, who was stranded with his wife and daughter, said he was relieved to be home.

Mr Richmond received a phone call shortly before he was supposed to board the flight on Thursday afternoon, to say his father was in hospital after a heart attack.

"We went to see him and he's okay but they are keeping him in hospital for a few more days," he said.

Mr Richmond said the whole Tiger debacle had cost him $1700.

"My wife and I missed a day's wages. We had to pay for another night of accommodation and $1100 up front for flights with Virgin to get home.

"We didn't have $1100 in our bank account so we had to ask family to pull together funds to get us home and now Tiger have told us we won't be getting it back for a month," he said.

Melbourne man Michael Christodoulou who was booked on the cancelled flight with his wife and two young children, said the incident had soured his Gold Coast holiday.

"We had to find accommodation -- that was hard at 10 at night. We knew about 5pm that it was cancelled but we had to stick around and try to get another flight," said Mr Christodoulou, who was yesterday booked on a Tiger flight.

"I've been to the Gold Coast plenty of times but this has been the worst," he said. "They wouldn't charter a plane. There were 170 stranded. I had two kids who were crook."

Mr Christodoulou estimated he had been forced to spend $300 on accommodation.

"I was supposed to go back today to work. I won't go back until Sunday. I'll lose about four days' wages, that's about $400."

Gold Coast Combined Chamber of Commerce president John Preston was dropping friends off at the Tiger terminal when the delay announcement was made.

He said the manner in which passengers were handled by Tiger staff put a bad light on the Coast.

"It was just disgusting the way they were treating the people," said Mr Preston.
A bit of open honesty on Tiger's part would surely be welcomed by consumers. They must not forget that they are in Australia rather than the Lyin' City and are dealing with Australians who expect much more from service providers thanmostly compliant Asians who have little by way of expectation.