PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things I always wanted to know as a PILOT
Old 8th Dec 2007, 00:46
mp413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another view

I'm only responding to those things I do/apply to me (some of them are surprising, like people not locking the door):

2. I don't think it's a "macho" thing for anyone. Crashes are super rare, and as someone else said, I feel (however statistically incorrectly) that crash = we all die. It sounds like there are statistics that pax who pay attention are more likely to survive, but I've been a FF for well over a decade and didn't know that til coming to this forum. If those statistics were in the opening safety briefing, I bet a lot more pax would pay attention!

4. Airline safety records aren't very accessible. You only hear about major incidents from the media, and major incidents are extremely rare and not the true/only gauge of an airline's safety. I have no idea where to find other types of safety reports other than FAA/NTSB (I'm American) websites which are incredibly user-unfriendly and full of industry jargon the layperson can't get past. If someone published a safety report that actually compared airlines AND that pax could easily understand, no question that would affect their decisions as to who to fly with. For example, from reading this forum I would think twice about flying a SE Asian airline. If it became clear from posts on the Rumours forum that my usual airline at home was unsafe, that would certainly affect my next airfare purchase.

5. I sit til the last possible moment! Lazy I guess

7. I will certainly do a basic wipe-down if I make a mess, as a courtesy for the next pax, but I don't generally clean up a public toilet. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it's someone else's actual job (whether it's in the CC's job description I don't know, but if it is sorry to say but they should do it and not complain).

10. As someone said, we're about to be stuck on the damn thing for flight-time plus whatever undisclosed amount of time the pilots know we'll be sitting on the tarmac after scheduled departure time (for those on-time stats). Thanks but I'll be at the bar

By the way, is there some place we get to pick your minds about why CC do the things they do that mystify us pax?!