PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2007, 19:16
Kasual Observer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm obviously not making myself clear so I'll make one final attempt to try and explain that I am not against you voting to strike. What I am saying is that if you do vote to strike, now, you are in effect heading for a disaster.

I understand all the hype about "why wait", "there's more money in the pot", "look at the wastage" etc. etc. The simple point is that you are weak as a union and weak with only limited support. By heading for a clash whilst weak you will do more damage than if you do so from a position of strength.

As pointed out by Jcdcon, your interpretation of the letter from Boyd and everyone elses shows how you are jumping to "uninformed" decisions. You state that "Many of us are level headed individuals capable of making our own informed decisions" yet just in that one post about what you think Boyd meant you have shot yourself in the foot.

Do you really think it is going to affect me whether you go on strike or not? The impact on me and my colleagues will be minimal, especially if you want to compare what we the pilots have taken over 6 years to achieve and what you are trying to do in one fell swoop. I honestly believe that if you do vote to strike you will only be harming yourselves in the long run. I believe that the company will manage to break the strike, at a cost, but break the strike they will because you are weak, unorganised and have a leadership that appears to have very little idea of how to handle the situation.

As I said, good luck and hopefully the vote will reflect the true majority of your colleagues desires. Unless you achieve at least 50% of the total cabin crew workforce voting for action then you will have very little chance of making any difference and most likely will set yourselves back many years.

I'm sorry if you don't like the perspective I am putting on it and you obviously don't take much heed of it. Fair enough. At least be honest with yourselves and admit that you have only limited support for this proposed action. I have no doubt that if you had the kind of support that we the pilots had when we negotiated our big increase then you would find that I and many others would be advising you to go for it.

Good luck again, because you are going to need every tiny bit of it you can get.