PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2007, 13:02
JB1888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Colleague,

Industrial Action Ballot

You should now have received your ballot papers. If not you must contact your Workplace Reps or call Dave Kelly at the Unite Slough Office Tel. No. 01753 578439 immediately.

This aside, I thought I should clarify some of the points Virgin Atlantic management have raised on I-Fly in relation to the balloting process. I know that the majority of Unite members are fully aware of the importance of returning a "Yes" vote in the current Industrial Action Ballot. However, the Company has been attempting to destabilise this important process by offering Cabin Crew money to "break the strike". In doing so it is undermining the good work Unite has carried out on behalf of our members since we achieved Trade Union recognition at Virgin Atlantic some 6 years ago.

Our members have continually demonstrated their determination throughout this dispute, which has been absolutely crucial in moving the Company from its original position back in April of expecting Cabin Crew to accept a 2% increase.

You have given Unite a clear mandate to pursue further improvements to those now being offered. We are absolutely committed to this principle, and as such, your continued support is paramount.

I also want to touch on the inferences that individuals may leave themselves open to disciplinary action as a result of participating in "official" strike action. Let me therefore be clear on this. If Unite and our members have done everything that we are required to do under the current legislation, which I believe we have, then all our members have protected rights. Virgin Atlantic is well aware of this fact.

Finally, I know you have been urged on I-Fly to call your Union. This may have been another attempt to undermine our efforts, but I can tell you that both Dave Kelly and I have been happy to speak with any of our members from the outset of the negotiations. Our members do not need prompted to do this.

In the meantime, I will update you in due course on any further developments, and remind you to return your ballot paper by 12 noon on Thursday 20th December 2007.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Boyd
National Officer